Bread of Life
Why is SGA involved in this ministry?
The Balkans conflict in the 1990s left tens of thousands in Serbia without support or aid. Bread of Life ministries started during this time from two churches coming together to minister into a war-torn country, where there were refugees facing starvation. SGA was made aware of this developing ministry and by invitation came alongside to support.
Although the conflict has ended, this vital work continues. Serbia remains a broken economy struggling to pay its way, with pensions for the elderly at around 100 euros per month. Over the decades the need for physical and spiritual assistance has only increased. Today Bread of Life continues to support the elderly, children, and families, but they also reach out to others who are marginalized in society, such as addicts, and Roma [Gypsy] communities.
Over the years its work has been effective. God has blessed and used this ministry as a means to change lives. Long term commitment from SGA to Bread of Life has afforded sustainability and development to this ministry. This is a work which SGA believes it needs to support and partner with in Serbia.
What are the main areas of this ministry?
- Rebuilding lives post-conflict
- Supporting vulnerable elderly and widows
- Funding education and aid for marginalized families, especially Roma [Gypsy] groups
- Providing for summer camps for children, youth, families, and senior citizens
- Bible teaching for Bread of Life workers
Why is SGA funding important?
Bread of Life has been ministering to the most vulnerable for decades. Its work has developed and receives recognition from the Serbian government but little funding. It must keep Government accreditation in order to operate legally. This requires maintaining very high standards in its programmes and having a long-term strategy in place. Its vision is to continue ministry to the vulnerable in society. This ministry requires partners with commitment to provide funding on a long-term basis. With the Lord’s help and provision SGA will continue its support for the elderly, children, camps, and the rebuilding of lives. Through Bible teaching SGA will seek to build up the Bread of Life team and encourage them through the Word.
How to get involved?
- Pray for the Bread of Life workers who are under immense pressure as they minister to some of the most challenging people groups in Serbia.
- Pray for those who have received Christ through the love and care shown through the programmes. Many young and old have come to the Lord. Pray that they will grow in their faith.
Sort Code 20-27-91
For more information
contact the staff in our Rugby office
on 01788 220699 or firstname.lastname@example.org